Tuesday, March 19, 2013

annie.

Dear Sister Recksiek, 

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Baton Rouge Lousiana Mission. 

Annie and I met when we were ten and eleven. Well, technically we met when we were at William Penn but we weren't really friends so we vaguely remember that part. We met in a ballet class at CBT. And, we absolutely loathed each other. 

No joke. We're both excellent actresses though, because the other person never knew we hated them. It wasn't until we were best friends that we discovered the depth of our hatred. Oh, eleven-year-olds. 

Then in the 7th grade, we attempted to "kidnap" our friend Sayri the day she got back from Europe. She'd been gone for a few weeks and we thought it'd be fun to surprise her and take her to a movie. We sent her "scary" emails threatening her that she would soon be kidnapped, that there is an Amber alert out for her, and everything. 

Of course, the emails say where they came from so it's not like that worked out. Oh, seventh graders.... 

But that was the first time we really considered ourselves friends. And we stayed that way through junior high, though still not super close because we went to different junior highs so the only time we saw each other was a couple times a week in dance class. 

Then high school came, and Annie sort of jumped groups to my junior high friend group. Somehow, neither of us know how or when it really happened, we became inseparable. 

We were basically an extension of each other. We were often associated with one another and people saw us as us and not as Megan and Annie. We were--are-- SO. WEIRD. Seriously, we often jokingly ask each other "how do we even have friends?" And then the other will say "please, like we have friends." Either that, or we go "why aren't we more popular?! We're HILARIOUS." 

Yeah, that's kind of just how we roll. 

If you know me or have read things on my blog then you know what an absolute loon I am. The best friend of me would have to be AT LEAST equal to that, if not more. So see, you understand what a psychotic pair we make. 

As crazy and loud and obnoxious and exuberant as we are most of the time, though, we still have our times of deep emotion. Our late night deep chats, either in person, or, as the case has been in college, over the phone. We understand each other in a way no one else does. She knows things about me and my life and how I've felt about certain things that no one, except for our Father in Heaven, knows. We are two people than can be pretty hard to keep up with sometimes, and I think Heavenly Father knew we would both need somebody by our side through high school who actually could keep up with us. I am fickle and emotional and impulsive, and sometimes people have just given up on me because I can be quite the handful. But Annie never has. She has been patient and sympathetic and understanding. Even though I know how much I have absolutely driven her NUTS sometimes (and vice versa!), she ignores it and continues to be my friend. She accepts me for exactly who I am and has never asked me to change. She has also remained absolutely true to herself. She's such an example to me of that. 

The night she called me while I was at work to read me her mission call, I was overjoyed for her. Then, I said "wait....when do you leave?" "March 20." 

We had five months left. We'd been practically inseparable for three years, and we had five months left. 

My coworkers definitely judged me when I started crying. "Megan, you cry?!" Thanks, guys. 

This last Sunday was the day I'd been dreading. It was the day I would say goodbye to Annie in person. We laughed and joked as we ate at her house after her farewell, all the while ignoring the inevitable. As all of our friends were leaving and I along with them, I looked at her and said "I have to go...." She saw my eyes get moist and said "Don't you dare cry. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't." 

And of course I did, and she did, and we just stood there hugging and crying for a good five minutes while onlookers stood there awkwardly watching. It's definitely in my top five list of hardest goodbyes, along with goodbyes to Kenz, Barb, and Grandpa. I just don't know what I am going to do without being able to call or text her on a whim, whether it be because of a bad day or to talk about the craziness of Vampire Diaries or Pretty Little Liars (if any of you watch either of those shows, please tell me. I need a tv buddy while she's gone. surriously.) 

But the goodbye came, and she reports to the MTC tomorrow. I can't believe it's already here. 

But she is going to be an AMAZING missionary. Louisiana is lucky to have her. Plus, I gotta say, I'm pretty darn stoked to hear her new accent when she comes home. ;) 

I am going to miss my partner in crime but I know she is exactly where she needs to be! I am so proud of her for her decision to serve and cannot wait until I am in the field with her! Our reunion will be epic and will include, I'm sure, a trip to Wendy's and Paradise and Noodles & Co. Since we're kind of just a little obsessed. 

To anyone who has ever had to endure a dance class, school class (especially AP Lit senior year... we were just out of control in that one), performance, confined on a bus with us, or ever had to be in the same room--especially during one of our hyper hours, I sincerely apologize. 

Enjoy the quiet for a couple years, because you know when we see each other again it's just going to be worse. 

See ya later, Sister Recksiek! Go forth and conquer; I'll see you in two! 

~Meggie 


























1 comment:

  1. She's gonna love Baton Rouge! Such a lovely place and the people are just the nicest kids in town! Also my friends husband served there and he loved it.

    She should try to visit the LSU Campus. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete