Wednesday, September 5, 2012

it ain't puerto rican, foo'. it's FREDRICAN.

Hi, I'm Megan, and I'm a blogaholic.

Hiiiiiii Megan.

Okay so anyways.

I GOT A JOB.

yes. it's true. try to hold your applause, guys. but i got a job.

i actually got the job last week, as i very briefly mentioned in my first post, but i figured i should give it some time before i actually talk about it.

well, as the intro suggests, i can't not blog. and so i figure... three shifts is enough to talk about, am i right?

Plus, why not talk about my old job first?

So. Nielsen's Frozen Custard.

Nielsen's was a huge part of my childhood. I remember fondly summer nights where the fam and I would walk to Nielsen's where I would get my Single Vanilla Cup. And seriously, it's heaven. if you've never tried custard before, i beseech you, i IMPLORE you, to do so. because.... just... heaven. okay. it's a five minute walk from my house, a cute little shop right smack at 39th and Highland Drive, making it a familiar sight to see upon driving almost anywhere. All the sibs worked there too, and I remember going to visit them. I remember Kenzie calling me telling me she needed something from home, then giving me a vanilla cone for the walk home after i dropped it off. i remember having a bite of my dad's Chocolate Malted Almond, one of Nielsen's most famous flavors.... and absolutely despising it. Apparently, malt is just not my thing.

The point is, many summer nights and family outings involved Nielsen's Frozen Custard. It was a place where all the kids in my neighborhood worked, because one of the owners is in my ward. So of course it was no surprise that I would follow in both theirs and my siblings footsteps, and work there too.

One month after I turned sixteen, I tarted my first real job as the newest team member of Nielsen's Frozen Custard. Or as us employees call it, the newest addition to Nielsen's Crew.

As with any job, there was drama sometimes. There were times where I didn't do as a good of a job as I could have and ended up getting reprimanded for it. But it made me a much better person and now I'll go to any job hereafter knowing what is and isn't okay. I'll tell you this though, working there was seriously a party. I can't tell you how many times i've probably annoyed my friends with my nielsen's stories. Except actually they probably weren't annoyed because they usually died of laughter, since you know, those are the kinds of stories only the best people, aka nielsen's crew, create. Most of my friends hated their jobs in high school, and (for the most part), I LOVED mine! It was seriously, the best first job I could ask for. I loved the old couple that came in every Tuesday and ordered a Caramel Cashew and Chocolate Almond concrete, or the cute girl with Downs Syndrome and her grandpa, who always got her chocolate with hot fudge on top. Or the two awesome couples (who both also tip awesomely, by the way), one of which just got married a little over a month ago and requested me as one of the servers at their wedding when Nielsen's catered. It was great. And my coworkers? HOLY COW. Greatest people ever. Some of my closest friends are people I met while working with them at Nielsen's (shout out to mah BFF Hunter and my black girl friend Sica)

And I mean, who doesn't love getting free custard ALL THE TIME?

One month after my sixteenth birthday, I started my first real job. And one month after my eighteenth birthday, I left it.



But then the trouble began, because even though I'd been searching all summer... still no job up in Logan. And I mean, I needed a job. Like, if I didn't get one that could pay for my college... I'd be going home. So, yeah. I really needed one. I prayed, I fasted, eventually I even asked my family to do a fast for me, and still.... nothing. I applied for job after job after job and then got an interview for a job and with that? Nothing. Sooo I kept looking, and happened to apply at Fredrico's Pizza at just the right time, as a girl they had just barely hired quit after one day because she thought it was too stressful, and when they saw on my app that I had experience in food service, they wanted to talk to me. By the end of my interview last Thursday, I was hired.

BAM.

I was nervous about it, mostly about my coworkers liking me or just looking at me as "the new girl" who screws up sometimes because I'm new.

That wasn't the case AT ALL.. They are the perfect new work family for me to have joined. My very first night, Friday night, they even invited me to go to Village Inn with them after work, since it's open until two in the morning. We were there until 2:30 and after that they finally straight up kicked us out. At that point, my new coworkers had figured out I'm a crazy spazz, but hey. I'm one of them now.

Also. Fredrico's has the best garlic bread I think my tastebuds have ever encountered. just throwin' that out there.

anyway, they are so great, and i fit right in! the job is perfect. it's right around the corner from my dorm, i only have two nights i have to work a week, and they're starting me at awesome pay!

so just because i have to slip something like this into everything... here it is. i know now why the other jobs didn't work out. why i kept getting rejected. there is no better job for me right now than this one, and the Lord provided it for me. He just wanted to see that I would endure through the struggles and keep in my search. seriously, you don't know how vital a job was for me. i got home after he told me i got the job and cried tears of joy as i called my mom. that's how happy i was. And it was all the Lord. The fasting and prayers and tears and struggles and effort finally paid off... and that's what life's about, guys. working through the struggles. this good news really gave me hope on that whole guy situation, too. since it was a sign of how enduring to the end really does pay off. just as kenz said to me in her email "God gave you the perfect job. Do you really think He wouldn't give you the perfect companion?"

Plus, I mean, I get to wear a baseball cap. I love baseball caps but never have an excuse to wear one. now, i have an excuse to wear a baseball cap all the freaking time. that's what it's all about. fo' real.

so, kids. what have we learned? It ain't Puerto Rican. It's FREDRICAN. And that's what I am now.







peace

~just megsie


2 comments: